Our HLA typing came back today. Valentine is a 11 out of 12 match. This means that, if we need to, Valentine can be a donor for Riker. This is not without risks, however. Our next step is to go out to the registry and see if there is a 100% match out there for Riker. There will be choices to be made, either way. We'll just need to wait until our consult with Boston at the end of the month.
It amazes me. Even though Riker, Jon and I are O+ (blood type), Valentine is A+. If she were do donate her stem cells to Riker, Riker would also have A+ blood. This caused me to think about other genetics. She'd still have the genetic coding for O+ blood. The genetics she'd be passing on to her children... Can she still have children... Maybe not. Wow... I suppose I shouldn't think that far ahead.
This is all so scarey... take everything day by day. Don't think to far ahead. Then there's suddenly hope. The oncologist spoke of gymnastics and dance some day. Dare I hope? He mentioned that she'd eventually have her lines out and she could go swimming. 3 weeks ago, I didn't think she'd every have a bath again. What a rollercoaster we've been put on.