Wednesday, August 24, 2011

August 26, 2011


2 months, 3 weeks since diagnosis
day #26 of current hospital stay

Another trip to Boston today. Valentine went down with us for preliminary testing in order to be Riker's bone marrow donor. It was a terribly long day. There were forms to be filled out and vials upon vials of blood to be drawn. My poor girl weighed .2 kilograms less after they collected all that blood. We had to hold her down while she cried and screamed, "Please stop - don't hurt me anymore."
I was brave at first but I had difficulties choking back the tears when they couldn't get anymore blood out of the first arm and had to move onto the other. She was brave, though. She really might be saving her sister's life and she knows it. I don't know what I will do if this doesn't work. I don't know how I'll explain to my 2 year old that she couldn't save her sister's life.
For now, though, we remain positive. Why shouldn't this work? This has to save my baby's life.

We are now officially scheduled for Boston. Riker and I will go down and we will start conditioning chemo on September 7th. After 9 days of the worst poison she's seen given so far, Valentine will join us on the 16th for the transplant. The count down is on.

The day was incredibly long. We left the house at 8am and ate breakfast on the road. I packed snacks for Valentine but nothing for Jon and I. When we finally got out of there at 3:30pm, we were all exhausted and dizzy with hunger. We ended up stopping at the hospital to see Riker on the way home and it was already almost 7pm. We finally got home after 9pm. What a day.


1 comment:

  1. holding in love and light.. the poison of love.. is tough and tender.. light is born borne of dark.. one needs resistance to fly.. it is so ok to cry.. the sky does.. it is a flow..

    ReplyDelete