Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

December 5, 2011 - Day 65

6 months since diagnosis
74 days away from home

6 months ago, we found out that our baby girl has cancer. 6 months ago, our world was turned upside down and our lives will never be the same. 6 months ago seems like it was a life time ago.

I don't even recognize the people we were last June when we got the news. I'm trying to remember what it was like to be at home, to go out with friends, and to live a normal life. I'm trying to remember what it was like to have the luxury of taking life for granted. Never again will life be the same because we are now forever changed. Changed for the better.

Oddly, the last 6 months have not been so bad. You would think having a baby with cancer would be awful. And our journey certainly had some awful downs but there were far more ups. Riker is an awesome 9 month old baby girl. Our time, every day of it, has been so precious. I have been given a gift that so few people will ever understand. The lens in which I view the world through, now, shows me a beautiful world, indeed.

And Riker and I, we're a little team. I have a special bond with her that I never would have had, otherwise. Valentine and Jon are a little team. She'll forever be Daddy's girl in such a different way than before. Our homecoming will allow us to create new bonds - me with Valentine and Jon with Riker. I am a better mother and Jon is a better father.

As I look back on the past 6 months and feel our journey slowing down, I mostly see only the good memories we have created. I never could have imagined that I would feel so at peace with what has happened when this journey started. We are all very lucky, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment