Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

December 24 & 25, 2011 - Day 84 & 85


6 months, 2 weeks, 6 days since diagnosis

Merry Christmas!

I cannot express how thankful I am to have had such a wonderful couple of days with my family! They were so normal! I did all the things with Valentine that I was hoping to. We made and decorated cookies. We painted sun catchers. We cooked and prepared for Christmas day together. We watched Olive, the Other Reindeer and ate kettle corn together. So many things that I've not had the time to do with her before.

Last year, we spent Christmas day in the ER with Valentine. I was 7 months pregnant and she'd been throwing up for over 36 hours. I had been telling her all month about the things we were going to do on Christmas Eve since I didn't have to work. We were both so excited. Christmas Eve was spent cleaning up buckets, blankets and beds. I had gotten Valentine this doll house I was so excited about. "Santa" set it all up under the tree, complete with dolls and furniture. I felt like I was a kid again I was so filled with anticipation. Valentine woke up in the morning, still sick, and didn't even want to open presents or look at the doll house.

And now, my past experiences, both with Riker and Valentine, have made me truly appreciate the holiday I've been given this year. On top of that, the generosity of our friends and loved ones... of even strangers... made this Christmas extra special. The girls did not go without even with everything being difficult this year. I am deeply thankful for all that made it so very special for them.

Much of the day, though, I had the fear that we'd end up back in the ER. I'm just waiting for the day that Riker spikes a fever - it's bound to happen. (we couldn't be lucky enough to avoid it, could we?) It always seems that kids get sick on weekends and holidays, too. Unfortunately, Riker wasn't feeling her best today. She slept nearly the entire day and worried me quite a bit. When she wasn't sleeping, she was cranky which is very unlike her. No fever, though. Just gotta keep an eye on her. If she's not feeling better tomorrow, I'll call the clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment